Resume of Venkataraman Narayanan
Currently living in New Zealand, working part time on country/technology research projects. Spending more time to pursue my interests on studying: ancient scriptures; maths & astronomy; physics; philosophy; history & culture and so on. Maintaining community Web sites like: Asia Open Source Software Program.
- Master of Engineering, National University of Singapore, 1989.
- Bachelor of Technology from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 1977.
- May 1996 - June 2010: Consultant, Center of International Cooperation for Computerization (CICC), Singapore .
- Sep87 - April 96: Consultant, ITI, National Computer Board, Singapore. Advisor to Small Enterprise Computerization Program.
- Nov. 84 - July 87: Researcher, National University of Singapore.
- June 77 - Nov. 84: Product Engineer, Larsen & Toubro Ltd, Bangalore, India.
Software development projects:
- Archives of APEC Industrial Science &Technology Internationalization database
- Open Source Software Development and promotion
- Served as Senior Researcher at Language Observatory Project at Nagaoka University of Technology, supported by Science & Technology Agency, Japan
- Designed and implemented a knowledge based simulator for operations management.
- Designed and implemented a workstation based optical character recognition system and imaging routines for a multi-media projects.
- Developed a PC LAN based intelligent E-Mail and Work flow system.
- Developed an expert system for process planning and routing; Detailed systems design and implemented a computerised machinability data bank.
Project management experience:
- Managed 25 AOSS Training Programs and Workshops in 11 asian countries for CICC: Brunei ; Cambodia ; India ; Indonesia ; Malaysia ; Nepal ; Singapore ; Sri Lanka ; Thailand ; Philippines ; and Vietnam .
- Managed software development project teams that automated engineering and manufacturing management systems.
- Seven years of experience in design, development, manufacturing and introduction of construction equipments such as hydraulic excavators. Managed the successful development of the first Indian hydraulic excavator.
- Customized statistical and modal analysis software for modeling performance of turned components and machine tool elements.
- Carried out in depth studies on surface damage and micro finishing of electro-discharge machined steels.
Technical support and consultancy:
- Experienced in conducting technology assessment studies, market research and competitive analysis. IT2000 study team member for formulating Information Technology master plan for Singapore.
- Provided consultancy internally and externally to other organizations on automation. Evaluated office and factory automation software for productivity improvement.
- Defined an National EDI, Document Interchange and Information models and services systems for the Singapore Financial, Manufacturing and Construction Sector.
Training Programs & Seminars
Conducted over 100 training programs, including asia-oss technology program and presented papers at more than 100 seminars and symposiums.
Selected Publication list
- Venkatesh, V.C. and Narayanan,V., 'Storage, Retrieval and Optimization of Machinability Data using Handheld Programmable Calculator', The Singapore Production Engineer, Vol.2, 1985, pp. 87-90.
- Venkatesh, V.C., Nee, A.Y.C., Puah, K.Y. and Narayanan, V., 'A Review of Computerised Machinability Data Base System Developed in National University of Singapore', Proc. of the SRA Int. Conference, Singapore, Sep.85, pp.49-76.
- Rahman, M., Narayanan, V. and Venkatesh, V.C., 'Evaluation of Optimum Stiffness and Damping For Structural Design of Machine Tools', Proc. of Int. Conference on Modal Analysis, Los Angeles, Feb. 86, pp.1553-57.
- Narayanan, V., Venkatesh, V.C. and Rahman, M., 'Automatic Programming and Its Integration with a Manufacturing Data Base using Micro Computers', Proc. of Int. Conference on Computer-Aided Production Engineering', Edinburgh, April 86, pp. 195-199.
- Venkatesh, V.C. and Narayanan, V., 'Machinability Correlation among Turning, Milling and Drilling Processes', Annals of the CIRP, Vol. 35/1/1986, pp. 59-62.
- Rahman, M. and Narayanan, V., 'Optimization of Error-of- Roundness in Turning Process', Annals of the CIRP, Vol. 35/1/1986, pp. 377-380.
- Rahman, M. and Narayanan, V., 'Expert System for Chucking', The Singapore Production Engineer, Vol.3, 1986, pp 77-86.
- Rahman, M. and Narayanan, V., 'Expert System for Machine tools', Automation News, Vol.1.,No.3, Singapore 1986, pp. 7-12.
- Narayanan, V., Rahman, M. and Venkatesh, V.C., 'Expert system for automatic part programming', Proc. of the Regional Seminar on Production Technology, Malaysia, 1986.
- Narayanan, V. and Rahman, M., 'Knowledge based Systems for Machine Tools', 4th IEEE Int. Conference on Languages for Automation, Singapore 1986, pp. 11 & Appendix. I.
- Narayanan, V., Lee, L.C. and Venkatesh, V.C., 'A Study of the Surface Characteristics and Fatigue Life of Tool Steels after EDM', Singapore Manufacturing Engineering, Vol.6, 1986, pp. 29-42.
- Rahman, M. and Narayanan, V., 'An Expert System for Process Planning', Int. Journal of Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.3, 1987, pp. 365-372.
- Lee, L.C. Lim, L.C. and Narayanan, V., 'Edm induced Micro-cracks on Tool and Die steels', Proc. of the fourth Asia-Pacific Conference on Electron Microscopy', Bangkok, 1988, pp. 295-296.
- Lee, L.C. Lim, L.C. and Narayanan, V., 'Edm imparted Micro-cracks in some commonly used Tool Steels', Proc. of the Materials Technology Symposium, SISIR, Singapore, 1988.
- Lee, L.C. Lim, L.C., Narayanan, V. and Venkatesh, V.C., 'Quantification of Surface Damage of Tool Steels After EDM', Int. Journal of Machine tools & Manufacture, Vol.28, No.4, 1988, pp. 359-372.
- Wong, Y.S, Lee, L.C. and Narayanan, V., 'Off-line optimisation and On-lineMonitoring/Control of the EDM Process', Automation in Manufacturing Conference, Singapore, 1988, pp. 1.50-1.62.
- Narayanan, V. and Rahman, M., 'Manufacturing Information Processing for Automation', Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore, Vol.28, No.4, 1988, pp. 59-66.
- Narayanan, V. and Francis, S.C.Y., 'A Self Learning Character Reader Using a Topological Technique', Proc. of IEEE Int. Conference on Image Processing, Singapore, 1989, pp. 338-342.
- Narayanan, V, Francis, S.C.Y. and Kong, C.M., 'A Customized OCR System for Reading Name Registers', Proc. of SEARCC'89, Singapore, Dec 89, pp. 286-294.
- Narayanan, V, LeeLee, H. and Sing, T.Y., 'An Intelligent E-Mail', ITWorks 90, Singapore, June 90, pp. 73-84.
- Narayanan, V, 'Pattern Matching for Everyone', ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, Vol.23, No.3, September 91, pp. 27-31.
- Narayanan, V. and Ong, B.K., 'System Design and Simulation for Manufacturing', Proc. of Int. Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing (ICCIM'91), Singapore, October 91, pp. 167-170.
- Narayanan, V. and Roland Hor, 'Development of an Image Editor for a DIP system', Proc. of SEARCC'91, Bali, Dec 91, pp. 36-1 to 36-15.
- Narayanan, V. 'Intelligent Process Routing', Proc. of Third Int. Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, May 92, pp. 270-77.
- Narayanan, V., Tan Chang Huong, Tan Yee Swian, Kathirgamalingam R.T. and Quek Seow Huat, 'Simulation for Production Management', Proc. of Industrial Automation'92 Conference, Singapore, May 92, Vol.II, pp.32-43.
- Narayanan, V. 'Manufacturing Document Management System', Year book of Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Singapore Chapter, 1992, pp.59-68.
- Narayanan, V. and Saw Ken Wye, 'Information Technology for tomorrow's Manufacturers', Year book 1992, The Institution of Manufacturing Engineers, Singapore section, pp.41-57.
- Narayanan, V., Tan Chang Huong, Tan Yee Swian, 'Simulation: A Tool for Production Planning and Execution', Information Technology- Journal of SCS, Singapore, April 93, Vol.5, No.2, pp.51-59.
- Narayanan, V. 'Process Parameters Prediction Systems', Proc. of Int. Conference on Advances in Materials & Processing Technologies (AMPT'93), Dublin, Ireland, August 93, pp.1635-1643.
- Narayanan, V. 'Manufacturing Management System Architecture', Proc. of Int. Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing (ICCIM'93), Singapore, September 93, Vol.1, pp 273-279.
- Narayanan, V. and Heng Kheng Joo, 'Machinability Data Prediction Systems', Proc. of Int. Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing (ICCIM'93), Singapore, September 93, Vol.2, pp 971-976.
- Narayanan, V. and Ong, B.K., 'Resource Simulation Using Linked Lists', Proc. of Summer Computer Simulation Conference, La Jolla, California, USA, July 94, pp 102-107.
- Narayanan, V. and Roland Hor., 'Document Interchange and IT2000 in Singapore', CALS/Enterprise Integration Journal, Winter 1994, pp.27-31.
- Chua, C.K, Narayanan, V, and Ang, B., 'Users Survey for Rapid Prototyping Technologies', Journal of The Institution of Engineers, Singapore, June 95, Vol.35, No.4, pp. 27-30.
- Narayanan, V, Chua, C.K. and Ang, B., 'A Selection Expert System for Solid Freeform Manufacturing', Proc. of Int. Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing (ICCIM'95), Singapore, July 95, Vol.2, pp. 1416-1423.
- Narayanan, V, 'Systems for the Prediction of Process Parameters', Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 1995, Vol.54, No. 1-4, pp. 64-69.
- Narayanan, V, "STEP for the Construction Industry Information Model', STEP Year Book 95, 1995, pp. 43-45.
- Chua, C.K., Narayanan, V, and Loh, J. 'Constraint-based spatial Representation Technique for the Container Packing Problem', The International Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 1998, Vol.9, No. 1, pp. 23-33.
- Roland Hor, and Narayanan, V. 'Making Singapore a Financial Hub', IT2010 Beyond The Web Lifestyle, Prentice Hall Singapore, 1999 ISBN 0-13-017937-X, pp. 61-84.
- Yoshiki Mikami, and Venkataraman Narayanan, "Information Technology Localization: The Past, Present and Future Agenda", SCALLA 2004*, Kathmandu, Nepal, January 5-7, 2004. SCALLA*: Sharing Capability in Localization and Human Language Technologies.