Pilgrimage in Hinduism, as in other religions, is the practice of journeying to sites where religious powers, knowledge, or experience are deemed especially accessible. Hindu pilgrimage is rooted in ancient scriptures. Devotional literature praise certain places and their miraculous capacities.
Non commercial website, for knowledge sharing. Free to copy and use, if you find it useful.
Listed some of the places visited.
Mount Kailash 6,638 m 31.0667° N, 81.3125° E Kailash Manasarovar 21,778 for almost all religions and faiths like Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Chinese and Bons.
The Manimahesh Lake (3,900 meters) in Himachal Pradesh at the foot of Manimahesh champah Kailash peak (5,653 m 32° 23'N 76° 40'E). A rock formation in the shape of a Shivling on Kailash is considered to be the manifestation of Lord Shiva. Manimaheshrefers to a jewel on Lord Shiva’s crown. The lake and its surroundings present an imposing view. The quiet waters of the lake carry the reflection of the snow capped peaks.
Kinnaur Kailash 6,500 m 31.5206° N, 78.3636° E, with a 24 meters Shivlinga changing its colour often. Lord Shiva holds a meeting of all gods and goddesses. One finds a unique blend of Hinduism and Buddhism. The Kinner Kailash Parikrama (circumbulation) starts from Chail, near Shimla and ends at Manali.
Adi Kailash or Chota Kailash 4,730 m
Shrikant Mahadev Kailash 120 km dangerous trek over glaciers from Rampur in HP. The Shiva linga is an 24 meters sheer rock face jutting out from the middle of a glacier at an altitude of 21,700 feet above sea level.
Sapta Puri- The Seven Holy Cities of India are: Ayodhya, Mathura, Dwarka, Haridwar, Varanasi (Benaras, Kashi), Kanchipuram, and Ujjain (Avanti).
Ayodhya - Considered as Rama's birth place. Kanak Bhavan and the Kala Ram Temple. The Vashishtha Kund, in the shape of a well. Treth Ka Mandir where Lord Rama is believed to have performed a yajna, a fire sacrifice.
Kshireshwaranath temple of Sita established by Lord Rama’s mother Kaushalya.
Hanuman Gadhi, a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman
Mathura - The Krishna Janma Bhoomi, on the banks of River Yamuna. A
Keshav Dev Temple.
The Vishramaghat – it is a ghat on the bank of River Yamuna.
Rangabhumi on the Kansatila Hill where Krishna killed Kamsa.
Prem Mandir Vrindavan, Govindji temple, Madan Mohan temple, Radha Damodar temple, Radha Gopinath temple, Banke Bihari temple, Krishna Balarama temple, Rangaji temple and Seva Kunja.
Vrindavan, where Lord Krishna spent his childhood, is 12 km away from Mathura and has nearly 5000 temples.
Dwarka, on the banks of the Gomti River, about 5000 years ago.
Jagat Mandir and the oldest temple in Dwarka, the Dwarakadheesh Temple
Rukmini, the consort of Lord Krishna in Bet Dwarka, 2 km away from Dwarka.
Haridwar on the western banks of River Ganga
Har-ki-Pauri ghat or Gangadwara has been constructed at the exact location where River Ganga descends on the plains. The famous temples of Haridwar include: Mansa Devi Temple; Chandi Devi Temple; Maya Devi Temple; Bharat Mata Mandir
Kashi (Varanasi) “Shiv ki Nagri”, has more than 2000 temples and 81 ghats. The more important ghats and temples include: Manikarnika, Dashashwamedha and Pancha-ganga, Asi Sangam and Varana Sangam.
Temples: Adi Keshava Vishnu temple located at the confluence of River Ganga and River Varana; Vishvanath temple; Visalakshi and Annapurna; Bindhu Madhava; Adi Keshava temple; Durga temple; Sankat Mochan temple
Kanchipuram on the banks of the Vegavathy river in Tamil Nadu,
The city has 108 Shaiva and 18 Vaishnava exquisitely designed temples
Kamakshi Amman; Ekambareswarar; Kailasanathar and Vaikunta Perumal Temple.
Ujjain on the bank of the Kshipra river. Lord Shiva killed the demon Tripura in Ujjain. Lord Krishna and Balarama were tutored here by Muni Sandipani. Apart from the Mahakaleshwas Temple with the Jyotirlinga, the Gopal Temple with a silver idol of Krishna and Balarama, and Muni Sandipani is also very famous.
North: Uttarakand - Himalaya
Kailash Peak in Gangotri region.
Neelknath Peak near Badrinath.
Meru Peak 6,660 m 30°52′5″N 79°1′56″E
Om Parvat 6,191 m
Shivling - Gangotri Group 6,543 m near Gaumukh-source of Ganga.
Kedarnath 6,940 m (30.7352° N, 79.0669)
- Haridwar:; Gange Ghats; Brahm Kund; Shanti Niketan Dham; Neel Kanth Temple; Mansa Devi Temple; Chandi devi Temple; Maya Devi Temple; Daksha Mahadev Temple; Neel Dhar Pakshi Vihar; Sati Kund; Bheemgoda Tank; Jairam Ashram; Sapt Rishi Ashram and Sapt Sarovar; Parad Shivling; Doodhadhari Barfani Temple; Sureshvari Devi Temple; Paavan Dham; Bharat Mata Mandir; Anandmayi Maa Ashram; Piran Kaliyar
- Rishikesh: Triveni Ghat; Laxman Jhoola; Shivanand Jhoola; Temples; Ashrams and Yoga Centres Laxman Jhula, Triveni Ghat, Swarga Ashram, Gita Bhawan, Bharat Mandir, Rishi Kund, Neelkanth
- Dehradun: Sahastradhara sulfur springs. Lakshman Siddh Temple Chandrabani, Sai Darbar, Tibetan temple, Santala Devi Temple
- Mussoorie: Gunhill, Municipal Garden, Mussoorie Lake, Lake Mist and so on. Kempty Fall, Bhatta Fall and Jharipani Fall.
- Jammu, Katra - Vaishnava devi, Amritsar, Ambala, Kurukshetra
- Delhi: India Gate, Red Fort, Jama Masjid, Qutub Minar, Humayun’s Tomb, Lodhi Gardens, Rashtrapati Bhawan, Akshardham Temple. Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Jama Masjid, India Gate, Lotus Temple, Humayun Tomb and Rashtrapati Bhavan. Other than these historic sites, the newly made Akshardham Temple
- Mathura is considered holy by not only the Hindus but also the Buddhists and the Jains. Mathura was also one of the two spots where the statues of Lord Buddha was made, the other being Gandhara (Afghanistan). Actually, the Mathura School of Arts that flourished for about 1200 years was much famed throughout the world. Krishna Janmabhoomi, Dwarkadhish Temple, Jama Maszid, Vishram Ghat, Gita Mandir, Government Museum, Gokul
- Allahabad Prayag (place of sacrifice), Allahabad University Anand Bhavan and Jawahar Planetarium, Company Bagh, Alfred Park, Allahabad Museum, Ewing Christian College, Nagvasuki Temple, Someshwar Mahadev Temple, Khusro Bagh and Allahabad Fort (Fort of Akbar)
- Jaipur: Amber Fort, Jaigarh Fort and Nahargarh Fort, City Palace, Rambagh Palace, Jal Mahal and Jantar Mantar. Amber Fort, Jaigarh Fort and Nahargarh Fort, City Palace, Rambagh Palace, Jal Mahal and Jantar Mantar.
- Surat: Dutch Gardens, Chintamani Jain Temple, Sardar Patel Museum, Dumas beach, Tithal beach, Surat Fort
- Ahmedabad: Mahatma Gandhi’s Ashram Hathee Singh Jain Temple
- Siddpur: mathru Gaya. சித்தாபூரில் உள்ளது ‘மாத்ரு கயா’தாய்க்கு மாத்திரம் நாம் செலுத்த வேண்டிய கர்மாக்களை செய்யும் இடம். சரஸ்வதி நதி இங்கே தோன்றி மஹாலக்ஷ்மியை வரவேற்ற புனித பூமி. பிந்து சரோவர் கரையில்தான் கபிலர் தன் தாய் தேவஹீதிக்கு உபதேசம் செய்தார். ‘கபில கீதை’ பிறந்த இடம் சித்தாபூர் என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.
- Nainital: Nanda Devi temple, Naini Lake, Gurney house, Guano hills, Snow View, St. John in Wilderness. Nain-tal or lake of the eye. Naina Devi temple, other lakes like Bhimtal Lake, Sattal and Naukuchia Tal.
- Calcutta: GPO Building, Raj Bhawan, St. John’s Church, Shahid Minar, Magen David Synagogue, Victoria Memorial, Birla Planetarium, Howrah Bridge
- Patna: Harmandirji, Kumhrar, Jalan Museum, Agam Kuan and Patna Museum Patna Museum, Jalan Museum. Remains of ancient Pataliputra. There are number of mosques and temples too, some of the important ones being Sher Shah Suri Masjid, Stone Mosque and Sadakat Aashram.
- Gaya beside the Falgu River, in the northeast Indian state of Bihar. Vishnupad Mandir, Mangla Gauri Temple, Brahma Kund pond, Pretshila Hill. Bodh Gaya for Buddha's Bodhi tree.
- Rajgir, Vaishali, Lumbini
- Ranchi: Hundru Falls, Jonha Falls, Jagannathpur Temple, Sun Temple, Ranchi Hill and Pahari Mandir, Jagannathpur Temple,
- Pune: Sinhagad Fort, Agakhan Palace, Shaniwarwada, Katraj Snake Park, Peshwa Park Pune include Sinhagad Fort, Pataleshwar Temple, Aga Khan Palace, Raigad Fort, Shaniwarwada, Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Katraj Snake Park, Peshwa Park, Kasba Ganpati Temple, and National War Museum
- Goa: Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church, Miramar Beach, Kala Academy cultural centre, Menezes Braganza Institute and Old City Panaji also have few famous temples which include Sri Mahalakshmi Temple, Sri Devaki Krishna Temple and Sri Saptakoteshwara Temple.
- Shirdi: Samadhi Mandir, Guru Sthan, Khandoba Temple, Lendi Bagh, Shani Shignapur, Dwarakamai Masjid
- Khajuraho Western Group of Temples, Eastern Group of Temples, Southern Group of Temples between 950 to 1050 AD, under the reign of Chandela Dynasty. It was in 1838 that a British army engineer, Captain T.S. Burt rediscovered them. It is believed that about 85 temples had been made but only 22 survived.
- Jhansi, Gwalior,
- Ujjain was once the center of astrology and astronomy.
Mahakaleshwar temple, Kalidas Palace, Bhartrihari Caves, Navagrah Mandir,
Pir Matsyendranath, Harisiddhi Temple, The Ved Shala, Chaubees Khamba Temple, Nagarkot ki Rani for guardian deity
- Aurangabad Bibi ka Maqbara, Ghrishneshwar Temple, Daulatabad, Aurangabad Caves, Soneri Mahal, History Museum, Gautala Wildlife Sanctuary and Siddhartha Garden Ajanta Caves and Ellora Caves, Bibi ka Maqbara, Ghrishneshwar Temple, Aurangabad Caves, Soneri Mahal, History Museum, Gautala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Bhopal is assumed to be founded by King Bhoj-2 (1000-1055), Bhimbetka Caves, Upper Lake or Bada Talab (Artificial Lake), Lower Lake or Chhota Talab (Artificial Lake), Bharat Bhawan (world famous museum), Manav Sangrahalay (museum of urban tribal culture), Takeri (beautiful landscape with temple on hill), Bhojeshwar Temple and Van Vihar (wildlife Sanctuary)
- Bangalore- Cubbon Park, Ulsoor Lake, Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain Park, Bugle Rock Park, and Lumbini Garden are the marvels of this city. Trekking or hiking at places like Ramanagara, Nandi Hills, Savandurga, and Narayanagiri
- Coorg - Kodavas, Madikeri Fort, Cauvery Shankaramana, Elephant Camp, brahmagiri hill Kodagu, Irrupu Falls, Abbey Falls, Nagarahole, Dargah Sharief of Yemmemadu, Madikeri Fort, Raja's Seat, Omkareshwara Temple, Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Talakaveri Wildlife Sanctuary, Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary and Nagarahole or Rajiv Gandhi National Park. Kudremukh a mining town with Kudremukh peak. Sirsi is an enchanting hill station. Nagarhole experiences amazing weather with various trails for trekking and camping. Madikeri Abbey falls Tibetan Monastery, Raja's Tomb and Madikeri Fort.
- Chikmagalur - Mullayangiri ranges, Sharadamba Temple, Vidyashankara Temple, Kodanda Ramaswamy Temple, and Amruteshwar Temple. Jhari Waterfalls, Hanuman Gundi Waterfalls, Shankar Falls, and Kadambi Falls. Belur is a famous temple town and houses the most beautiful Hoysala Temples such as the Chennakesava temple, Madanikas, Veeranarayana Temple, Darpana Sundari, Kappe Chennigaraya Temple, and the Gravity pillar. Halebid various temples and monuments.
- Shravanabelagola Lord Bahubali statue. Makalidurga Fort is located on top of one of the granite hillocks. Ghati Subramanya Temple, Grover Zampa Vineyards, Chikka Madhure Shani Mahatma Temple, Kinvah Vineyards.
- Dandeli - trails and green environment. Ulavi temple, ancient caves of Kavla, Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, Syntheri rocks Kulgi Nature Camp, kali river
- Chitradurga surrounded by rocky boulders with many legends and historical structures. Kabini with fauna.
- Badami is filled with red sandstone formations, caves, cave temples, and several beautiful structures along the banks of the Agastya Lake. Badami Fort
- Karwar picturesque with temples, forts and beaches. Sadashivgad a prominent historical sight of this town lies in proximity to the Kali River Bridge
- Gokarna - River Aghanashini, Ankola beaches, Kari Ishaad a rare breed of mango, cashews, and Gangavali River. Mahamaya Temple. This temple is accessible from both Goa airport and Ankola railway station. Aryadurga temple, Honey beach, Vinhuti falls, Nadibhag beach. Murudeshwara sea side temple.
- Hampi: Hospet Fort Town of Karnataka as there are many historical old forts here. Apart from the forts, you can visit Anantasatanagudi, Tungabhadra Dam, Virupaksha Temple, Ragunath Temple,
- Kanakapura ,Shimoga - Yakshagana, Sagar,
- Mangalore, Udupi, Agumbe is rich biodiversity, waterfalls and red-hazy sun-set over the Arabian Sea. The village is also known as the ‘Cobra Capital’. Kollur Mugambika.
Sringeri - Sharada Peetham, - Kere Anjaneya Temple in the West, Kala Bhairava Temple in the East, Durgamba Temple in the South and Kalikamba Temple in the North.
- Hassan Koravangala Temple, Kedareshwara Temple, Ishvara Temple and the Hoysala Temples in Mosale, Gorur Dam, Kabbaligere Hill
- Ramanagara is surrounded by the peaks of Shiva Ramagiri, Somagiri, Krishnagiri, and Yeti Rajagiri, Revanna Siddeshwara, Sidilakallu, and Jala Siddeshwara. Ramanagara is also known as the Silk City. Mekedatu in Ramanagara, which is the blending spot of the two rivers Arkavathi and Kaveri
- Mysore palaces, chamundi hills
- Madhugiri Fort built during the reign of the Vijayanagar Dynasty. Apart from the Fort, Madugiri also offers other attractions such as the MaidanaHalli Blackbuck Sanctuary, Chennarayana Durga, Thimmalapura Forest, Siddara Betta, and many other temples.
- Srirangapatna Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. Other attractions here include the Gumbaz, Dariya Daulat Baug, Sangam, Balmuri Falls, Karighatta Temple, Srirangapatna Fort, the Obelisk and Jama Masjid.
- Shivanasamudra is known for its cascading many waterfalls and rivers. Pattadakal has Rashtrakuta Jain temple, Sangameshwara Temple, Malliikarjuna Temple, Galaganatha temple and Papanatha Temple. Talakadu rise and fall of various empires including the Chola Dynasty, the Pallava Dynasty, the Hoysala Dynasty and the Vijayanagara Dynasty. Some of the most unique practices here are the excavation of some temples every 12 years for a special ritual during Panchalinga Darshana. The remaining time these temples remain buried under the sand. The Temples that are included in this ritual are the Vaidyanatheshwara temple, Arkeshwara temple, Vasukishwara temple Srikanteshwara temple and Mallikarjuna temple. Madhugiri Fort.
- Tirupati: Sri Venkateswara Temple, Lord Vishnu carved out of jet-black stone, is adorned with rubies, diamonds and gold. Sri Govindrajaswamy Temple, Sri Kapileswaraswami Temple, Sri Kodandaramaswami Temple,
Sri Kalyana Venkateswaraswami Temple in Srinivasa Mangapuram, Tiruchanur Alamelumangapuram,
- Hyderabad Char Minar, Golconda Fort, Qutbshahi Tomb, Mecca Masjid, Osmania University and HITEC City Banjara Hills and Jubilee Hills. Char Minar, Golconda Fort, Qutbshahi Tomb, Mecca Masjid, Birla Mandir, Ujjaini Mahankali Temple, Hussain Sagar Lake, Osmania University and HITEC City
- Visakhapatnam: Kailasagiri Hills and Park, Ramakrishna Mission Beach, Lawson's Bay Beach, Dolphin's Nose, Kailashagiri Hills and Park, Simhachalam, Araku Valley, The Buddhist Complex, and Dolphin's Nose.
- Chennai Central station Must Visits: Marina Beach, Fort St. George and Parthsarthy Temple
- Kanchipuram had served as an Early Chola capital, mentioned by kalidasa and Tamil Sangam literature like Manimegalai. Buddhism is believed to have flourished in Kanchipuram between the 1st and 5th centuries. Some notable Buddhists Āryadeva, Dignaga and Bodhidharma (founder of Shaolin Kung Fu) might have been from Kanchipuram. Kanchipuram had been a major center of Jainism and is associated with several famous Jain Acharyas like Samantabhadra and Akalanka. Hindus regard Kanchipuram to be one of the seven holiest cities in India, the Sapta Puri. Known for Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam and Sadasiva Brahmendra mutt. Kailasanatha temple, Ekambareshwar temple, Varadaraja Perumal and Kamakshi amman temple are some of the popular temples. The city has two mosques and old Christian church built in Scottish style brick structure with arches and pillars.
- Coimbatore: Perur Patteeswarar Temple, Konniamman temple, Thandu Mariamman temple, Vazhai Thottathu Ayyan temple, Echanaari Ganesh temple, Karamadai temple, Marudamalai Murugan temple, Panchamuga Anjaneya Temple Dhyanalinga Yogic Temple hill stations (Ooty, Coonoor and Valparai). Ooty Lake, Ooty Botanical Garden, Toda huts, and tribal temples. Doddabetta Peak, Pine forest, and Emerald Lake are few other tourist spots around Ooty.
- Pondicherry: Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville, Beaches
- Trichy or Tiruchirappalli. Rock Fort Temple Uchipillaiyar. Tayumanavar is a very compassionate God who took a female form to assist a woman in labour. are installed in the temple. Sri Naganadhaswamy temple in Nandhi Koil street, near Theppakulam/ Rockfort is another famous one Swayambu linga known as Naganadhaswamy with Anandhavalli ambikai are in different sanctums. Srirangam Lord Ranganathar "Nam-Perumal" and His divine wife Ranganayaki is affectionately called "Thayar". Thiruvanaikaval Jambukeswarar (Water Lingam) and Akilandeshwari.
- Tanjore: Brihadeeswara Temple, Thanjavur Palace, Saraswathi Mahal Library, Manora Fort, Royal Museum, Navagraha Temples... This city of temples is actually named after demon Tanjan, who was annihilated by Sri Anandavalli Amman
- Kumbakonam, is located 40 km from Thanjavur is known as a "temple town" due to the prevalence of a number of temples here and is noted for its Mahamaham festival which attracts people from all over the globe. Kumbakonam dates back to the Sangam period and was ruled by the Early Cholas, Pallavas, Medieval Cholas, Later Cholas, Pandyas, the Vijayanagar Empire, Madurai Nayaks, Thanjavur Nayaks and the Thanjavur Marathas.
The name "Kumbakonam", "Pot's Corner",or the mythical pot (kumbha) of the Hindu god Brahma that contained the seed of all living beings on earth.
- Madurai: Meenakshi amman, Koodal Azhagar kovil, Thiruparankundram, Goripalayam Dargah, St. Mary’s Cathedral Church etc
- Kodaikanal: Lake, Bryant Park, Coaker's Walk, Devil's Kitchen, Green Valley View etc.
Kerala: South to North
(1) Trivandrum - Kollam:
Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
Pazhavangadi Ganapathy Temple
Aazhimala Siva Temple
Karikkakom Chamundi Devi Temple
Poruvazhy Peruviruthy Malanada at Kunnathoor - open platform open nature. .
Sivagiri Temple, Varkala
Kottarakkara Ganapathy Temple
The Napier Museum, Kuthiramalika Palace, Sree Chithra Art Gallery, Priyadarshini Space Planetarium.
(2) Thiruvella Vallaba,
Malayalappuzha Temple, Malayalapuzha
Nilakkal Mahadeva Temple, Perunad
Erumeli - Pamba - Sabarimalai
Aranmula Parthasarathy Temple, Mallapuzhassery
Kaviyoor Mahadeva Temple
(3) Around Kottayam:
Etumaanor, Kaduthurithi, Vaikom
Thiruvalla (Vallabha or Kolappiraan and Shiva).
IRUMELI for Sastha and Vavar.
KUMARANALLOOR SRI BHAGAVATHI TEMPLE
THIRUNAKKARA SHIVA TEMPLE,
Kidangoor Subramanya Swamy Temple
Kaduthuruthy Shiva Temple, Chottanikkara
Poornathrayesa Temple, Chottanikkara
Ernakulatthappan temple, chottanikkara
(5) Around Ernakulam:
Aluva shiva kshethram,
ALLURUTHI SREE BAVANEESWARA TEMPLE,
Anchumana at Padivattam in Edapally,
SREE NARAYANESWARAM TEMPLE,
PALLURUTHI SREE DHANWANTHARY,
Parambanar Kulangara Bhagawathy
Kedamangalam Bhagawathy is worshipped in 6 forms
Poornathrayeesa Temple at Tripunithura
Kaladi Shankara mutt temples
Haripad, Mannarsala (head of the Nagaraja)
Jewish Synagogue in the port city of Kochi
Santa Cruz Cathedral oldest churches in India
St Mary's Church in Vallarpadam, islet in Cochin backwaters
Kodungaloor Bhagavathi and Sri Kurumba Bhagavathi
Triprayar Sri Rama Temple
Thiruvanchikulam Shiva Temple, Kodungalloor
Cheraman Juma Mosque is a mosque in Methalar
Thomas Syro-Malabar Church 52 AD, Palayur
(8) Thrissur - Guruvayur:
Sri Guruvayur Krishna Temple
Mammiyur Sri Mahadeva, Parthasarathy & Venkatachalapathi
Chowalloor Shiva Temple, Kandanassery
Thrishur - Vadakumnaathan
Paramekavu (tail of the Nagaraja)
Thrissur Parvati and his 4 children
*From here to coimbatore via palghat
Tali Shiva temple
Kanhilassery shiva temple
ponanghotur subramanya temple
varakkal sree durga deavi temple
valayanad devi temple
Lokanarkavu Temple, Villiappally
(10) Wayanad - Thalassery
Mahe aka Mayyazhi, .
Sree Rama Swami Temple,
Jagannath Temple by Narayana Guru.
Wayanad - Thirunelli Maha Vishnu* - can perform all the rituals
Kannur or Cannanore ancient temples
Parassinikadavu Muthappan Temple
Website maintained by: NARA